I used TypePad a while back and needed directions for adding a flash banner. This was the reply I received from the tech support that I thought may be helpful to folks. I apologize in advance if this info is too dated:
How to Install Flash Banners in TypePad
You must have a TypePad Pro account and be using advanced templates in order to add a Flash Banner.
Note: when altering your existing template code, it is a very good idea to copy your code and paste it into a text document in case you make a mistake and need to start from scratch.
Step One: Upload your Flash file to your TypePad account
- login at www.typepad.com.
- Upload your Flash banner file using the File Manager. This is different than inserting an image into a post.
- Click on the name of the fie in the list (not the link icon) to open it in another window or tab. Copy the URL for the file so that you can insert it into your template in the next step.
- Click the Weblogs tab in TypePad and go to the blog you wish to add the banner to.
- If you are already using an advanced template, click the Design tab. If you are using a Basic template you’ll need to convert your template to advanced.
Step Two: Creating A Template Module for Your Banner
- Near the bottom of the page, locate and click Create New Template Module.
- Give your new template a name of flash-banner by typing it in the Template Name field.
- Paste the following code into the Template Body field:
<object classid=”clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000″ codebase=”http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0″ width=”900” height=”130“>
<param name=”movie” value=”http://www.yourURLcom/sample.swf” />
<param name=”quality” value=”high” />
<embed src=”http://www.yourURLcom/sample.swf” quality=”high” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” width=”900” height=”130“>
- Replace the links provided in the example code with the link to your flash file. Make sure to edit the height and width tags also, to match the size of your flash banner. The items that need to be chaged are bolded in the example above.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Step Three: Including Your New flash-banner Module into Your Templates
- Return to the Design tab for your blog.
- Click on your Main Index Template. Replace <$MTWeblogIncludeModule module=”banner”$> with <$MTInclude module=”flash-banner”$>
- Click Save.
- Return to the Design tab and click on your Archive Index Template.
- Replace <$MTWeblogIncludeModule module=”banner”$> with <$MTInclude module=”flash-banner”$> and click Save.
- Return to the Design tab and for each of the following templates Category Archives, DataBased Archives, and Individual Archives replace <$MTWeblogIncludeModule module=”banner”$> with <$MTInclude module=”flash-banner”$> Click Save for each one.
- You’re done! Click Save and Republish your site (be sure that Publish all Files is selected in the popup window).
- View your blog in a new tab or window. If you don’t see the menu at the top, hold the shift key down the first time you reload the page.